The Audrey Brown Local History Collection includes:
- In and around Canton by Ethel Farley Bickle
- History of the Township of Hope by Harold Reeves
- Little tales of old Port Hope by W. Arnot Craick
- Port Hope historical sketches by W. Arnot Craick
- Port Hope: a history by Ian Montagnes
- Hope and its Port - pictorial book work published by the East Durham Historical Society
- Bygone days of East Durham - pictorial work published by the East Durham Historical Society
Port Hope Public Library Listing of Newspapers on Microfilm (updated to December 2012) lists holdings in the Library's microfilmed newspaper collection generously sponsored by the Wladyka Family, Happytown Productions, the Becker family, Northumberland Today and the Ontario Ministry of Culture.
Original copies of local newspaper issues are held for approximately six months, until the microfilm copy is available.
Our excellent genealogy volunteers are working on indexing the microfilmed newspaper collection. Births, deaths, and marriage indices available online at www.nhb.com/hunter/.
Here's what has been indexed or is being worked on:
(1832-1899): completed with 3891 entries
(1900-1927): 6327 entries
Issues for 1901, 1902, 1905, 1908, & 1944 are currently being indexed.
(1928-1954) Currently underway; the years listed have been completed. There are no issues for 1941.
- 01 January-to 30 Sep 1942
(1955-1972): completed with 6012 entries.
- January-June 1958
- July 1959-December 1962
- September 1966-December 1972
Although the Library has the microfilm for the ensuing years, our volunteers will only be indexing issues up to 1972.
- Early families of Port Hope – 9 volume set
- The genealogy of John Haw, 1821 – 1916
- The Hamley, Hambly, Hamlyn group of families by Douglas Hamley
- Family histories: Port Hope, Midland, Prince Edward County, Scottish pioneers by Diane C. Hunter
- Colonel William S. Marsh of Manchester, Vermont 1738 – 1816 and his descendants to the family of Mary (L’Esperance) Stinton by Bruce C. Stinton
- CemSearch database provided by the Ontario Genealogical Society (in-library availability only)
- Written cemetery records
- Marriage registers of Upper Canada/Canada West, volume 7, part 1 Newcastle district, 1810 - 1848 - compiled by Dan Walker
- Marriage registers of Upper Canada/Canada West, volume 7, part 1 Newcastle district, 1848 – 1855 – compiled by Dan Walker
- County marriage registers of Ontario, Canada 1858-1869, volume 14, Durham County
- County marriage registers of Ontario, Canada 1858-1869, volume 9, Northumberland County
- Census microfilm reels for the years 1848 to 1901 for Port Hope and Hope Township - indices available online – www.nhb.com/hunter/.
Provincial and national archival material
- The Library offers interlibrary loan services for material from the provincial and national archives, subject to the lending rules of those institutions. Microfilm requests must contain the reel number and, if applicable, volume number for every request. Please allow up to 3 months for delivery of archival microfilm.
Online genealogy resources access available at public workstations within the Library
The Library’s local history and genealogy resources are highly-valued research tools. To ensure their availability for all patrons and visitors, these materials are for reference use in the Library only.